Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 1 Observation (9/19/08)

As I searched through Yahoo! Groups to find a group, many of them seemed interesting to me. I was debating on maybe one about cats, or movies, or even a group about the singer Rihanna. But the one that I thought would be most interesting would be a 2008 Presidential Election group. The reason being, I figure it is one of the most heated issues going on right now, especially with the election coming up in November. The other groups I was looking at only had one or two posts a week, and this group has one or two posts a minute! Therefore, I figured it'd be the most interesting to follow because there always is something being said.
People post about a lot of different issues in this group, I seem to notice. People are discussing Sarah Palin (McCain's VP choice), and how McCain might have chosen her just because she is a female in order to get votes from a certain demographic. Other people are discussing why they will or won't vote for a candidate. Many other people are, of course, trying to get people to see why their pick for President is the right one, by giving various reasons and trying to prove points about each candidate, whether positive or negative.
So far people have been pretty nice towards eachother. They are not being super nice, of course, but I was expecting there to be more rude, angry, and just mean-spirited posts. But in general, everyone is just sharing their opinion in an appropriate manner. I'm anxious to see how this might change in the next few days- maybe everyone in this chat is just happy because it's Friday and that's why they are being so calm about the issues! We'll see.

No comments: